Art depicting "legend" of Santiago

E. O. Pederson eopedersonaMSN.COM
Wed Sep 15 07:43:33 PDT 2004

>I am looking for art that depicts the stone boat that
>supposedly carried the remains of St. James to Galicia. Of
>special interest is art that depicts the arrival of the
>boat. Also, I would like to find art that depicts the
>finding of his tomb.

There is a photograph of a 13th century capital on a pillar at Lerida
cathedral showing the stone boat (p. 28) in a book I purchased in Spain
some years ago [Bango Torvisio, Isidro G. El Camino de Santiago. 1993. 3rd
ed. Madrid: Espasa Calpe. ISBN 84-239-5294-0]. As a bas-relief carving, it
only shows the boat, and not its arrival, although I do remember having
seen a medieval fresco or manuscript illustration showing that scene. The
book also contains (p.31) a 12th century depiction of the tomb. I would
scan and send them, but this list does not allow attachments.

If LMU is Loyola-Marymount University and you are in the LA area, I would
suggest a research visit to the UCLA Libraries, to the William Andrews
Clark Collection, as well as to the Getty and the Huntington as all of
those excellent facilities have good samples of medieval art. One or
another of them may also have an image collection with photographs of the
scenes you are interested in depicted (the Getty is probably the best bet
for that).