Camino words and music; schools

Thomas Gabriele tcgabeaFRONTIERNET.NET
Tue Oct 12 06:05:52 PDT 2004

Hi  Rosina...I have been unable to open the attachments to your e-mails...time permitting, would you contact me directly (via e-mail and not through the Santiagobis Listserv). I will return my snail mail address.

thanks for your patience, understanding, and certainly your kindness

tom
tcgabeafrontiernet.net

----- Original Message -----
  From: Rosina Lila
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 11:45 AM
  Subject: Camino words and music; schools

  Hola,
  Marie Virginie Cambriels has published a book about her pilgrimage, from DuPuy-en-Velay to Santiago, on foot accompanied only by a donkey. The book's reviewers have unanimously praised it book calling it "very beautiful and poetic".
  Since the author is a concert musician, she gave a serious of Camino music concerts along the Camino, and a CD of such concerts comes with the book.
  So far,  the book is available only in French, but translations are in the works.
  I've noticed quite a few Francophiles in this list who, very likely, can read French.
  While I myself have not seen the book yet, I plan to get a copy when I go to Santiago next month for Thanksgiving.

  The list of Spanish-for-foreigners schools in Salamanca that I've sent you,  was provided by the Salamanca Information office and is composed of facilities wherein Spanish is taught through  an intensive, immersion, method, rather than the traditional University way.  Reportedly this intensive method has developed because those offering the courses know that foreigners, as a rule, have a limited time for their efforts. In the ancillary residences, as well, the student must communicate in Spanish. Apparently these conditions are quite successful.
  I learned Spanish at home (lucky me!) with my Granadine grandparents; and  only needed to expand my knowledge through forever ongoing  reading and grammar studies. For the other languages that I know I attended courses and studied and completed  exercise books like mad. But it wasn't really until I was in the countries where those languages are spoken, and totally away from tourist venues,  that I actually learned the languages. It appears that having no choice but to communicate in another language, slowly but surely one loses the fear of the "language-unknown" which seems  to be the greatest handicap to learning it.
  How does one keep up with the learned language back home so as not to forget it?
  In New York City we have areas and places where those languages are spoken, and if we do not want to leave the comfort of our homes, we have  four 24/7  TV channels in Spanish, and a generous offering of programs in French and Italian. While some of the programs are not interesting, the news and discussions programs certainly are, and then there are many magazines and newspapers and, of course, the web.
  An old adage says:  "Use it, or Lose it",  in my experience it applies with particular precision to the languages one has learned.  Fortunately, most fortunately, using them is not only fairly easy but also immensely enjoyable.
  Warm regards,
  Rosina