Weight(y) matters I

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Wed Oct 6 20:42:45 PDT 2004

I have often heard the expression, “ a pound on your foot is like X
pounds on your back,” where X can be 5, 8 or 10, depending on which
hiking guru is expounding on the subject. Is there any real meaning to
these numbers? I really doubt that anyone has ever made any kind of
tests that could substantiate such a quote. There are a lot of
variables involved, since it would depend how a person walks. Those who
tend to high-step, i.e. raise their knees higher than normal would make
the weight on the feet a more important factor. Those who walk with a
bouncy step, so that the whole body is bobbing up and down more that
usual would be enhancing the effect of the weight on their backs as
well as their feet. The terrain would also be a factor. On a smooth
path, your feet don’t have to be lifted as high, but if there are a lot
of tree roots, loose rocks, or water diversion dams along the path, the
hikers would have a lot more work lifting heavy boots over those
obstacles. Walking on deep sun cups in the snow would be another
example of having to lift the feet high.

There is certainly truth behind the adage, but putting a number to it
makes it just an old hikers tale. I have recently had evidence that
there is a definite difference. I am supposed to spend 30 minutes each
day “in the zone,” i.e. keep my pulse rate between 112 and 126.
(Unfortunately, this is not pre-camino conditioning, but cardiac
post-op rehabilitation.) Just plain walking on level ground doesn’t do
this, but fortunately a trail near my home goes up an alluvial fan, so
there is a moderate elevation gain. I also wear cheap, heavy, winter
boots and a couple of three pound ankle weights to try to get up into
the range as early as I can so that the hike doesn’t take up too much
of the day. The ankle weights are a nuisance, so one day I decided to
put them into the backpack instead. Then I found out the difference.
With 3 pounds on each ankle, it took only 5 to 10 minutes to get into
the zone. When I had them in the pack, it took 15 to 20 minutes to get
into the zone. After a few days of this I gave up and went back to
wearing them on my ankles. I have tried adding extra weight to the
pack, up to 20 pounds total, but wearing 3 pounds on each ankle, along
with the boots at 2 1/4 pounds each, seems to be the most effective way
to do enough work to get in the zone.

The point here is that in walking the camino, we all want to minimize
the effort needed. This experience tells me that I should wear the
lightest weight foot gear that I can get by with. No high top boots -
who needs them?

Bob Spenger