[Gocamino] The Portuguese Way; Via de la Plata

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 16:40:10 PST 2004

Hola,
Will those of you who asked for the Portuguese Way three translated reports
please let me know who you were?
I've messed up keeping the requests straight.
By the way, the Portuguese Way has become the most traversed pilgrims' route,
second only to the French Way. However, the largest net increase in the
number of pilgrims this Xacobean Year has taken place on the Via de la Plata. In
fact, the authorities of Extremadura and adjoining provinces have informed that
they will spend quite significant  amounts of Euros  developing pilgrims'
facilities throughout the Via.
The lovely and historic city of Caceres is hosting,  right now, an exhibit of
oil paintings (43, I think)  of aspects of the Via de la Plata.
As mentioned before, pilgrims beginning their Via de la Plata pilgrimage in
fabulous Seville may obtain their (different and very pretty) credential at the
"Miami" Tavern in the Triana neighborhood. The owner of the tavern is Don
Juan Vizcaino who also organized the Friends of the Camino Association of Seville
and provided it with nice facilities near the tavern.
As a typical Sevillian, from Triana no less, Don Juan is extremely colorful
and friendly and arrived in Santiago a few weeks ago after riding a horse all
throughout  the 1,000 kms. of the Via de la Plata.
 Don Juan went alone, accompanied only by a spare horse, and he made the
pilgrimage because, he says, at 74 years of age he doesn't believe that he will be
in sufficiently good shape to ride to Santiago from Seville the next Xacobean
Holy Year.
Having met him and been charmed by his witty, lively and energetically
flirtatious ways, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he proves himself wrong.
Warm regards,
Rosina