Reason for issuing the Compostela (was Re: Re: numbers..final)

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Thu May 6 06:43:20 PDT 2004

In a message dated 05/06/04 09:29:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET writes:
And no-one surely would say that an attempt at thought control was involved
if a Catholic priest would only agree to provide a baptism certificate to
someone who professed  the faith and went through the ceremony?
This is fine for adherents to a faith; but what about non-believers who walk?
 there is no requirement, thankfully, that one profess to be a Catholic to
receive the Compostela.  As for Marathon certificates and academic degrees, of
course there are requirements to earn them.  I don't take issue with the proof
that one has walked or cycled a certain distance, but what does "a religious
motive" really have to do with getting a Compostela?  The Church should
eliminate this aspect of granting the Compostela despite all your arguments for
keeping it.  As I said, personal or private motives are just as valid in my mind.
HM NYC