statistics

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed May 5 08:14:16 PDT 2004

Hi Claudia,
When I got my first credential in Roncesvalles I didn't know how to  classify
the reasons for my pilgrimage.  One of the people giving out the credentials
asked me whether I  was making the pilgrimage as a "penance" or to keep a
religious promise. When I told her that I wasn't, she then asked me whether  I was
doing it just for information and education or whether I was interested in
the religious aspects and history of the Camino; after I answered  "yes" to the
latter she told me to select the Religious/cultural classification.
Intrigued, I asked around and did find out that a significant number of
pilgrims made the pilgrimage to keep a religious promise, or to expiate some
regretted acts.  The rubric "solely for religious purposes" would appear to apply to
them.
About a month ago, the Coach of a Galician soccer team said to reporters that
if his team defeated the formidable Real Madrid, which seemed very unlikely
at the time since the Real Madrid has the best soccer players in the world
(Ronaldo, Zigane, Figo, Bekham, Raul, Roberto Carlos et al) he would walk the
Camino.
As it turned out, the Galician team won and the coach is now working out to
be in shape to keep his promise.
In 2000, I met a a female attorney from Valencia who was walking the Camino
to give thanks to the Apostle because her daughter had finally gotten married.
I must confess that I was mightily tempted to make a similar promise in
regards to my son. Fortuitously, I was spared the need to do so since my son became
 engaged to be married before I got around to formalizing and finalizing the
promise. I have remained, therefore, a Religious/Cultural pilgrim in all my
pilgrimages.
Warm regards,
Rosina