sleep time-readaptation

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Mon May 3 14:57:12 PDT 2004

I have traveled to Europe many times and concur with Rosina.  Ambien was recommended to me by medical personnel with European relatives.  They said, and I experienced, that Ambien is a gentle sleep inducer.  I had no, absolutely no, residual effects and awoke just before breakfast as Rosina did.  You can tell the flight attendants not to disturb you.  I one case they even stuck a sticker on my seat saying "Do Not Disturb".  Since using this method, I have not lost any time to jet lag at all.  You must get a prescription from a doctor for it.  I would recommend asking for the 10mg tablets and breaking it in two.  The 10mg tablet doesn't cost much more than the 5mg one.

Glenn

 -----Original Message-----
From: Rosina Lila [mailto:Blaroliaaol.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 1:37 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: sleep time-readaptation

Hi Richard,
Some years ago I found out how not to lose a day abroad because of the time changes that result when one travels  to another continent:
The moment that I strap myself  onto the airplane seat I take a sleeping pill (usually a 5 mg. ambien) and wake up in good condition six hours later,  just about the time when they are serving breakfast on the plane.
Sure, I forgo the evening meal, the movies, etc., which, frankly, are no loss at all, at least not to me..
I also seek a place by the window so that other passengers  won't wake me up.
If on the first nighttime in Europe, or wherever, I am still not sleep-adjusted, I take a second sleeping pill and that's it. The next morning I wake up as though I were home.
As I remember, sometime ago another pilgrim made the same suggestion here.