Annotated bibliography

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Tue Mar 30 08:15:08 PST 2004

A couple of people wrote me privately to ask about this reference to an
annotated bibliography. For those of you who know all about it, just hit
delete now.

Maryjane Dunn, founder of "Friends of the Road to Santiago," and I coauthored
2 annotated bibliographies, 1 on medieval pilgrimage, the second on the Camino
de Santiago. We spent about 3 years, i think, reading everywhere we could in
the USA, whatever interlibrary loan couldn't get us, and then about 1 month in
Madrid Biblioteca nacional and everywhere in Santiago itself. The result was :

__The Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela: A Comprehensive Annotated
Bibliography.___ New  York: Garland, 1994.

It includes information on nearly 3000 items.]As you can see, the book is now
10 years old and out of print. An occasional copy comes up on half.com or
alibris.com. However, modesty aside, it was a pretty darn good annotated work
-- when reviewed in Spain it was called _the_ example for future
bibliographies -- anywho, most USA university libraries have a copy and if
your nearest does not, interlibrary loan will get it for you.

Since then, for a while Maryjane & I kept a bibliographic list of newly
appearing materials. For the most part, articles on art, some on history, and
a lot of narrataives of the journey. For the holy years, we found that a lot
of reprinting was done. Some of the books you all like are reprints of things
done 20 - 25 years earlier. My database of those items, which is in disarray,
has 600 items and isn't nearly uptodate.

A couple of years ago, there was a Spanish 2-volume bibliography publication.
Rosina, you probably have that data == and I didn't bring that backup with me
-- but when I got it (and I reviewed it in one of the issues of  our
"Newsletter", it seemed somewhat confusing to me and the annotations were not
all that helpful. I try to give some bibliography in each of our Newsletters,
but frankly my interests have gone wider than just the Camino de Santiago - as
you all probably know.

Linda Davidson