luggage, food & security

wanda wandaaOLDABIQUIU.COM
Sun Mar 28 19:52:56 PST 2004

MessageThanks for the address. Wanda
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eyskens
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 1:23 PM
  Subject: Re: luggage, food & security

  I have level II diabetes, non insulin and walked from SJPP to Santiago with no problems.  Admittedly, I didn't take any medication as the exercise seemed to control the sugar level.  I would however, suggest you take plenty of meds, to cover the trip if your doctor prescribes them.  There are plenty of stores and restaurants during every day's hike although the smaller villages may not have either, the larger ones (normally where the Refugios are) will.  One exception I can think of is Casanova east of Melide which is in the middle of the countryside.  Buy your supplies in Palas de Rei, if you intend to push on.

  I never shipped anything to the general delivery in Santiago but know plenty of people who did with no problems.The address is Lista de Correos, 15780 Santiago de Compostela , A Corunna.

  Theft is rare.  I know of one instance at Refugio Gaulcelmo last October, but none in the several years before.  What's been reported through the CSJ and conversations with other Hospitaleros has been committed by transients who are either posing as pilgrims or admitted as transients.  The Refugio in Hospital de Obrigo will not turn anyone away who asks for a bed.  In general, I wouldn't worry about security but wouldn't leave passport, credit cards and cash laying around on bunks and tables, while you, the owner wanders off, either. I do remember one instance in Pamplona when an Australian couple left their backpacks by the fountain in a plaza in the old city while they went off exploring.  When they returned the backpacks were still there but nothing of any value was.

  Jim Eyskens