Are all routes to Santiago equally valid?

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Wed Mar 24 10:13:13 PST 2004

When I walked the Camino Frances (SJPdP - Santiago) in May/June 2002, I was
so pleased to meet up at the end  with many of the guys that I had journeyed
with at various points along the route.  But one evening, I were sat with me
mate in a cafe and this couple joined us who had driven the Camino in their
car (they were unable to walk).  They were so excited to share  their
experience and wanted to hear everything from me and me mate about how we
fared on foot.  So, we spent the evening together swapping stories.  But
afterwards,  me mate, he were so dismissive of them to me after the couple
left us because he thought they had not done the real Camino as they had
gone by car.  I felt he was very disingenuous towards that couple who made
it in the only way they thought they could. But he could not relate to their
experiences, and I understand that.

But then, I wonder if  there are Camino Frances pilgrims, who have come
across others who have walked the Portuguese Way or Via de la Plata or
English way, and think that these too have done a lesser Camino than those
who walked the full Camino Frances even having made allowances for time
constraints or medical reasons.  What is it that makes the Camino Frances
the most popular, almost self-appointed official route? Is it easy to share
with anyone who has arrived in Santiago by a different route as yourself
since there is no common shared experience other than the arrival.?

Ed

---