water

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Tue Mar 23 23:44:52 PST 2004

I drank from fountains all along the Camino Frances with no problems.
In fact, the fresh water was great-better than any bottled water.  There
is a fountain just before Gonsar that tasted slightly of sulphur, but
even then it was drinkable. It does pay to learn the Spanish for non
drinkable water and of course anyone who drinks from a fountain marked
with a skull gets what they deserve.  If you have any doubt ask a
villager, if one is handy.  I never carries more than a small water
bottle.

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of claudia castellani
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 10:13 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: water

Some Italian friends of mine biked the Camino francès two years ago.
They warned me not to drink water from fountains on the road. They did
it and were sick for some days, with also slight fever. I don't know
exactly which kind of fountain they took water from, but just to be
sure, I avoided public fountains and always bought bottles of water.

Claudia