February 2004 pilgrims

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Tue Mar 23 13:50:25 PST 2004

Hi John,

Outstanding perhaps, but I find it scary. One of the citizens of
Portomarin told me in detail about what they had to do to handle the
crowds (2,000/day) in the summer of 1999. Both albergues full up, of
course (~150 total beds), a local school of some sort, a military
installation, and tents set up in the local park, where camping is
normally forbidden. I have no idea what was available for toilets,
showers, and laundry, nor how the local shops and restaurants managed
to provide an adequate food supply. For a town of only about 10,000,
the logistics must have been staggering. Since the smaller villages
after there must all have had about the same numbers, it would be an
even tougher problem.

regards,

Bob