Early AM refugios, rising, noise: a paradox

Eva evaaARTREMI.COM
Sat Mar 20 21:36:08 PST 2004

Frank,

I really appreciated your explanation. Throughout my Camino I struggled
to understand why people would get up 2-3 hours (or more) before sunrise
and in the process wake up the whole refugio. I assumed it was to get
ahead of the competition to get the bed at the next refugio. But now I
see many people many "spontaneously" wake up at 5:00 a.m. :-)
As for me, I considered the Camino a long-awaited vacation and made the
promise of not getting up before sunrise and walking in the dark. Even
if it meant being the last one at the next refugio and sleeping on the
floor. One of the many benefits of this tactic was that I never had
problems getting coffee at the local bars since they were always open by
7-8 a.m. Remember that Spanish people are night-owls and that's why
coffee bars are closed when the early-risers start their day.
I also enjoyed walking in the afternoon, while many of the early risers
were catching up on their sleep in the refugios.
I still need 8 hours of sleep a night. That was even more true after
walking 30-35 km on those hot days last August. To make sure you have
quality sleep, don't forget good ear plugs. This was the most important
item for me, by far.

Ciao!
-Eva
Glenview, Illinois