Oh, how I love packing lists!

Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty redtailaTELUS.NET
Thu Mar 18 23:29:30 PST 2004

Deanna,

Hard to trust in strange pillows, or none at all, isn't it? My wife
absconded with an airlines pillow, and I packed along a smallish pillowcase
with a tiny zipper, into which I stuffed (or in which I simply kept) most
of my clothing. We both slept very well. I'm addicted to Ohropax earplugs,
and packed 12, enough generously for 6 weeks. Sleep is so crucial for
sustaining hard work that I'm sure it repays the luxury of some trivial
extra weight.

My other "guilty secret"---all right, there's also the ibuprophen and the
caffein pills (blush, sob)---is a dedicated t-shirt to wrap around my head
as a nighttime blindfold. I got into the habit during a decade of brilliant
Arctic summer "nights" under canvas. I went to an American Quaternary
Association meeting in 1976, and ever afterward have used the funky cotton
conference t-shirt to blind myself---even, ridiculously, during the Arctic
winter nights. But for the camino, at least I managed to switch to a
polypro running shirt, which also was actually worn as a last resort.

Frank