Waterproofing boots

C.J.Dolce cjdolceaMINDSPRING.COM
Wed Mar 17 18:13:59 PST 2004

For waterproofing boots or anything else, I use Vectra stain repellant which
not only repels stains but does a great job of waterproofing without
affecting breathability. You can check their products at
http://www.vectraspray.com.  I've used Vectra spray on my leather hiking
boots for years and never had a problem with water or with breathability.
Carla

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On
Behalf Of Jack Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 6:14 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: poncho? knives?

I have GoreTex boots and used a Nikwax product (Leather Conditioner) that
was suppose to not impede "breathing".  I looked at the label again and it
doesn't actually state that it doesn't impact breathability, but it was
recommended by REI and does state on the label that it is recommended for
GoreTex boots.  I think anything you put on the leather.. especially
products like "SnoSeal" and oils and greases will impact breathability.
That's what we used to use to make leather ski boots waterproof.. and
believe me they didn't breath.  I guess that shows my age doesn't it??
Jack