The Route from Vezelay

Charles Hansen VeloTrainaPEOPLEPC.COM
Tue Mar 16 15:27:33 PST 2004

Richard -

Is the split just after the start?

> It starts in Vezelay, near Dijon and Auxerre, southeast of Paris.  The
route splits into a north and south branch near Vezelay, then joins back
into one route, and ends at St. Jean Pied de Port, a common starting point
for the French route to Santiago.

I had wanted to start in Le Puy for my cycling camino because I know how
beautiful the Lot valley is, but I just don't have the vacation time
available.  Perhaps at a later time I will just do the French portion.  I
suspect that a lot of people consider what you describe as the "classic
Camino".  Also, I belive that the route in Spain is much better preserved,
although some might argue overly so.

> It has always surprised me how many people seem to think that the only
right place to start on the pilgrimage to Santiago is at or near the border
with France, Roncesvalles or near there.

Don't know if you've read it, but travel writer Bettina Selby wrote a book
on her cycling camino from Vezelay.

Charles