reading on the Camino

Marty Patton-Volz srjandmaSBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Mar 15 09:10:56 PST 2004

The bigger problem is finding anything for sale that is not in Spanish.

In the larger cities along the camino (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago) there are almost always bookstores stores with English or French sections with some popular readings, and I usually check with someone at a book store for names of stores that have English titles.  We found one on a side street in Leon and one in Pamplona as well.

Used books are more difficult - but we found them by accident in cities, so it is worth wandering and asking.  We found a store in Burgos by wandering the side shopping streets and asking shopkeepers.
We cycled Paris to Santiago in 2000 so needed more than one book for the 5 wk trek.

It is worth asking the folks at the refugio cuz they may have had to look for a book store during their stay.

Marty

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Philippe SEURRE
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 2:17 AM
  Subject: reading on the Camino

  Could anyone tell me whether I will be able to find exchange second hand bookshops on the Camino ( books in English or French )  ,  like those that exist in Asia, for those travelers who dump their old books and exchange them for those left earlier by other travelers?

  Also,   in June/ July,   would an silk sleeping bag liner - instead of a proper sleeping bag - be sufficient ?

  Lastly,  would anyone recommend I take a light foam mattress too?

  many thanks

  Philippe