$$$ ATM & Medical Insurnance

Jean Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Tue Mar 9 06:41:44 PST 2004

A "vanilla" ATM card is the safestway to get Euros.  Many USA banks foist "debit" or "Check" cards with a "Visa" logo on their account holders and then charge more for withdrawals.   Make sure you have a "simple" bank ATM card that is acceptable at the major networks, Plus, Cirrus, etc.    In '03 when I used by "Vanilla" ATM card (Bank of America)_  and my husband used his "check" card from the same bank, at the same time, in the same ATM, he was charged more (Only about $1.25) for the transaction!

Your bank may not want to issue you a "simple" ATM card.   I had to very positively insist that I wanted a simple ATM card.   Your bank should issue you one is you insist.

We carry our passports, one credit card (Visa is the most accepted) and our ATM cards in a fabric pouch around our necks, under our  clothing.   Cash is in a separate purse/wallet that is accessable.  If it is lost or stolen, we only lose the cash, not our documents and access to funds.  The pouches we use are available at AAA offices, and we throw them in the washing machine when we return home.

 From what I remember, pilgrims receive free medical care on the Camino.  We had no need, but met several who had misshaps and had been treated at no charge.

jean seeeler  jeandaveamindspring.com  Camino by bike in '01 and '03