trekking poles

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 28 13:57:50 PDT 2004

I haven't been on the Camino yet without a "bordon."
It's my third leg. On my first Camino in 2000, I
bought a regular one with the metal point at the end.
It served me well, especially going downhill (as I was
to find out more on the second trek), and I left it
with the Spanish acqaintance I walked into Santiago
with, figuring I'd pick it up on the second try.

Well, two years later I ended up nowhere near her
house (in Murcia), so I bought a new stick in Jaca,
accidently left it in the albergue there on my first
day out from Somport pass and went down that
horrendous pass without one. The thing was, it was
only horrendous without a stick. With one to balance
me better, I would have done much better, I feel.

I'm not crazy about poles - or maybe I'm just not
ready for them yet. So whatever makes you feel the
most comfortable on the paths is what's right.

Buen Camino,
Ana