Camino...w/ baby--help/ideas?!

Lucy McCauley lamccauleyaAOL.COM
Mon Jul 26 18:47:09 PDT 2004

Hello
I'm a writer from Boston, Massachusetts and hope to do just a 3 to 5 day
pilgrimage along the Camino with my year-and-a-half old baby girl in late
August/ early September. I'm doing this both for spiritual reasons and to
possibly write about it later. (I am the editor of the anthology Travelers'
Tales: Spain, among others.)

I'll be a lone female w/ a baby, and my original plan was to use an all-
terrain stroller that converts into a backpack should the need arise.  I'm
now hoping to find a section of the trail that:

1) is a  3-5 day portion of the pilgrimage that won't be more than a 5-8
mile distance between food/water supplies and logding (hostals or pensions
are fine, not necessarily refugios or albuerges, since I know my distance
won't qualify for the pilgrim's carnet anyway--and those places aren't
likely to welcome a baby!). By the way, I don't feel I necessarily HAVE to
end up in Santiago as the endpoint.

2) would be fairly smooth terrain, in case I decide to use a regular
portable stroller rather than the all-terrain stroller (which is rather
large and unwieldy)

3) preferably wouldn't require me to carry my 25-lb baby on my back for any
great lengths (ie,no severely rocky and steep uphill terrain)

I had hoped to walk the pilgrimage from Santiago to Finisterre, but from
what I've read, on at least one day I'd have to walk about 15 miles between
lodging or food/water supplies. Same with the Camino Ingles (from
Ferrol/Coruna), as far as I can tell. Too many daily miles logged for a
baby.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks for your help

Lucy McCauley