English no, Communication si.

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 24 12:33:58 PDT 2004

--- claudia castellani <claudietta67aHOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> The funny thing is that two of the most popular
> languages in the Western
> world, English and Spanish, are spoken by
> populations that normally do not
> learn foreign languages very much.

I found this thread fascinating because I too was put
into translating situations on the Camino, a time when
my mind was otherwise occupied. In my case, it was
with people from other countries who happened to speak
English but not Spanish, not people from
English-speaking countries.

I've found lately that people from English-speaking
countries other than the U.S. are much more
enthusiastic about learning other languages than are
Americans, who still seem to insist on being
monolingual in a multilingual world.

Have a great day!
Ana