Communication si, con placer

Tom Priestly tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA
Fri Jul 23 13:33:34 PDT 2004

Maybe I am an exception . . . I learned what turned out to be
sufficient Spanish for my Camino last fall and was the translator for
my companion(s). I also helped out with the occasional situation with
two other languages I know - French and German. I never found it
annoying; on the contrary,  quite the reverse: it was a chance to
help people, when I had been helped so much by others. Also, of
course, I am (a) grateful for the gift / series of opportunities
[take your choice, following your philosophy] which made languages
easy for me to learn; and (b) I am proud of the linguistic abilities
I have and like to show off. More (a) than (b), I hope.
Of course, I was not called on that often. I appreciate, having had
to do it, that interpreting for long periods is very tiring. So:
avoid doing a lot of it - but enjoy doing a little. Like drinking
rioja.
Tom
--
Prof. Emeritus Tom Priestly