I did the camino in May!

Susan Long slongyahaYAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 6 08:47:39 PDT 2004

I and two friends did the camino starting from Ponferrada (about 200 km)
the last two weeks of May. I have plenty to report! The biggest thing
that surprised us was the blisters - serious, serious blisters, although
we did not get infections or blisters under the toenails like some
people did! We had trained agressively beforehand with our boots and our
packs, but we are flatlanders (we live in Houston), and our feet were
not prepared for the hills, especially the descents. So I have plenty of
advice about blisters.

I also came down with some kind of virus for two days - throwing up,
body aches - that took me out of commission for a while. I don't think
it was the food or water, but some kind of bug.

Also, it was getting very crowded on the camino especially the last week
of May. We were having trouble finding places at the albergues.
Eventually we made a practice of calling ahead every night to find a bed
in a hostal or casa rural so that we would be assured of having a spot
and wouldn't have to rush to get where we were going early. The army was
going to start putting up tents at key locations so that they would be
able to accommodate all the pilgrims, so perhaps now it's a different
story.

The camino was a joy - the Spanish people were so hospitable and
friendly, and the pilgrims were wonderful as well. It is a testimony to
the basic goodness of humanity that people who have painful feet,
haven't had a good shower for days, perhaps sleeping on the floor, etc.,
can be so friendly and generous among themselves. There were also
spiritual lessons every step of the way.

And the wine was cheap and delicious!

Susan Long
slongyahayahoo.com