Sarria to Santiago

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Sun Jan 25 16:45:33 PST 2004

I see from my credential I took 6 days from Sarria to Santiago, it rained
every day and I certainly wasn't rushing it.

You might like to try the new, private refugio in Sarria, keep on up the
hill from the old one, it's at No32, very quiet (6 of us in a room of 30+
beds). 6 Euros and you don't have such a climb up the hill in the morning.

The first main stop out of Sarria is Portomarin and they started pulling the
refugio down at the end of September last. I was told the new one should be
built by this May, until then the old overflow building is being used, no
kitchen, very dirty but it is a lovely town and the lady from the
Ayuntamiento was very helpful.

If you stay at Palas de Rei try to get a bed at the back of the building, it
faces a busy street and the early morning traffic can be very noisy.

Melide is an easy next step, large refugio, reasonable kitchen, few cooking
utensils but, heck, you've got to try the octopus at the Pulparia anyway.
Market day on Sunday.

Ribadiso is lovely but there's more to do in Arzua and another good refugio.

Arca O Pino was OK, kitchen (again few utensils), supermarket next door,
there is a branch on the Camino as you enter Arco, cross the road if you're
going to carry on and by-pass the town, straight up the hill for the refugio
on your left.

I've never met anybody who liked Monte de Gozo but it is convenient if you
want to roll into  Santiago first thing in the morning.

Sarria to Santiago is a good stretch if you have limited time, nice
countryside, even the euclyptus forests have a charm all of their own.

regards

Jeffrey.