My first time

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Tue Jan 20 09:23:32 PST 2004

There are a number of guidebooks describing the various Caminos in
detail.  The most traveled Camino is the Camino Frances which runs from
Saint Jean Pied de Port in the French Pyrenees.  The first day is over
the Pyrenees to the monastery at Roncevalles.  It sounds like this is
the route your father took.  Check out the Lonely Planets 'Walking in
Spain' 3rd edition-the last chapter is on the Camino Frances.  Otherwise
go to the Confraternity of St James website at csj.org.uk.  They have
detailed guidebooks on all the Caminos, with distances, refugios,
restaurants etc.  The CSJ is a 20 year organization based in London
dedicated to furthering the Caminos de Santiago.  They run a Refugio in
Rabanal in western Leon, which operates on donations.

You might consider trying the Camino alone.  You'll be surprised at who
you meet.

Lots of Luck.

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of alexander woolverton
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 10:33 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: My first time

I am hoping to do the pilgrimage over this summer. My dad did it when he
was about my age, and he reccomended I do it as well. Unfortunately, I
know very little about the actual trip, but I still look forward to the
challenge.

I'm pretty sure he walked from somewhere in southern (I would assume
southern) France, across the Pyrenees Mtns. and to the Cathedral
(Monastery,
Church?) in Santiago de Compostela. I was wondering if anyone could fill
me in on the details. I know that there are many routes of varying
distances, and I haven't been to successful in finding the specifics
about some of them. If anyone could e-mail me about this, that would be
great.

I am also looking for a companion with whom to make this pilgrimage. If
you live in the Los Angeles area and are interested, please e-mail me.

Xander