Pilgrimage distances

Estelle Codier EstelleCaKAPIOLANI.ORG
Tue Jan 20 12:28:14 PST 2004

Jeff-My husband and I just completed our camino this fall. The first day,
from St. Jean, is 17 miles by the high route to Roncevalles. The altitude
change is significant, and you need to consider in those numbers that for
every 1000 feet of altitude you have gained, you have had to repeatedly go
up and down "mini hills" all the way up the mountain; so the actual uphill
is significantly more. That first day is quite hard. From Roncevalles to
Pamploma is generally moving down through the foothills, and altitude wise
is not bad. You do need to consider that the cumulative impact on your feet,
however, will hit during that time and blisters, hot spots, etc, will hit
during that time and affect your progress.  The exact mileage between the
towns can be found on several web sites; if you aren't able to find them,
let me know and I will pull it from our journal entries. When we were there,
the refuge in Pamploma had been closed, and we had to continue on to Cezur
Menor. It is a fine refuge and I highly recommend it, although the mountain
from there to the next town is horrific both uphill and down.
Buen Camino; every day when I wake, I wish I were back on the
camino.<<<<Estelle

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jeff Mayor
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:32 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Pilgrimage distances

Fellow Pilgrims,
My wife and I will be walking in June for about 8 - 10 days. I am
interested in finding out how far it is  from St.Jean Pied de Port to
Pamplona and  how difficult is the trail?
Sincerely,
Jeff
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and