Official opening of the Holy Jacobean Year

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Sun Jan 11 13:00:26 PST 2004

I think I'll stick with BC and AD; it's a lot less confusing and most people
know what they mean.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rosina Lila" <BlaroliaAOL.COM>
To: <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: Official opening of the Holy Jacobean Year

> Hi Ed,
> The message partially cited by you said that CE was taken to mean..... in
the Latin, and other COUNTRIES,..... not in the Latin language.
> A list-member sent me a citation from a Lexicon that explains that CE, in
fact, does mean Christian Era and that it was adopted to avoid the confusion
between the erstwhile AC in English), meaning °after Christ° and AC in
Spanish that means before Christ (antes de Cristo) and a.C in Italian which
also means before Christ (avanti Cristo).
> Since the same initials meant exact opposites  the EC initials were used
as an alternative to AC en Inglish.  The Lexicon also mentions that some
have interpreted EC differently.

---