age and the camino

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Jan 9 05:34:17 PST 2004

Hi Elizabeth and Nancy,
If you read the monthly pilgrims' statistics that have been posted here you'll find that between 15 and 20% of all pilgrims are over sixty years old, and quite a few well into their seventies.  It would appear that there are many retirees in that age group who can take the time necessary to walk, or bicycle, the Camino at one time.  With some exceptions, they also have more money.  As far as I have been told, the over-sixty pilgrims do not stay in the albergues, but seek private accommodations.  As a female pilgrims who recently walk the Portuguese Way wrote "age does have some privileges".
There is no dearth of facilities for such pilgrims all over the various routes; the locals are well prepared to receive and help them.  I wouldn't worry.
Regards,
Rosina