Pilgrims'meeting in Rio

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 29 17:55:50 PST 2004

Greetings, Rosina,

You certainly make a compelling pitch for the International Pilgrim's
Conference in Rio...I am sorely tempted to participate and can afford the
Brasillian Reais, but the plane fare might be a bit more, not to mention not
being able to speak the language and not so interested at all in the
swimming pool and volleyball courts.  To be with other people who have
shared similar pilgrimage experiences is a validating and even exhilerating
time.

I will be going, however, to the gathering in Santa Barbara, also a most
beautiful place, with beaches and the Santa Inez mountains, but I will be
staying at a Mission, enjoying friends from around the US and Canada (and
Spain!) who will speak my native language and will share their Caminos with
an albeit smaller, intimate group. The focus will be on "giving back" to the
Camino, through presentations and a hospitalero training with people from
Spain who guardian such practices to maintain the pilgrimage atmosphere of
the Camino and its alberques. Not to say we all won't be celebrating and
feasting as well.

Since many of us have talked about ways we can keep that experience alive,
(although not through arts and crafts), it will be a real priviledge to meet
with people who have some concrete ideas about an organized North American
confraternity, similar to those found in Canada, Great Britain, France and
Norway to name a few.

The Friends of the Road, that wonderful group founded by Linda Davidson will
be taking on a newer, more expanded role, aspiring to the standards of some
of the groups you have mentioned in the past. The annual gatherings are but
a beginning.

While it would be great fun and a joy to be in Rio, I will be in Santa
Barbara in mid-March at a gathering where I feel my contributions may make a
difference. And who knows, St. James works in mysterious ways!