International meeting of Pilgrims in Rio de Janeiro

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Feb 28 11:45:36 PST 2004

Hello you all,The response to the announcement of the June meeting in Rio is remarkable and quite understandable; those of us who know the City take advantage of every opportunity to go back, and those who have never been in Rio have read about it, or heard about it, or seen parts of it in the movies and are, obviously, desirous to go there.It is, to me, simply the most beautiful city anywhere. I love Rome more than any other city, I admire and enjoy Paris, and I find New York very interesting; but when it comes to beauty, both natural and architectonic, none can compare with Rio.  It is a major city (two million inhabitants) that was Brasil's capital for centuries, and it has those greener than  green rocky mountains ("morros") on one side and the bluer than blue Atlantic on the other. As though this were not enough, it has a gorgeous laggon in the center!. The people who live there ("cariocas") inspired, perhaps, by the natural beauty that surrounds them have built the mos!
 t beautiful and imaginative apartment houses and other buildings that I have ever seen anywhere. Furthermore, the gardens, the forest within (Tijuca), those beaches, the waterfalls, the flowers, the birds, etc. etc. make of Rio what Brasilians themselves call "a living picture postcard", and then some.Now, to answer your questions:Safety in Rio is no worse than anywhere else.  (I was assaulted and robbed in Paris at noon, had my camara and purse snatched in London, etc., etc., and wouldn't, under any circumstances, go to New York City's Central Park alone after dark). I don't think that there is a place left in the Western World where one can feel completely safe, except, perhaps,  Venice, since potential malfeasants there know that they cannot run away.The place of the meeting in Rio is called CEFAN and is a compound located in sort-of-a Navy preserve.  It was built for the PanAmerican Sports competition a few years ago and it couldn't be safer.  It has Olympic-size swimmi!
 ng pools, soccer fields, tennis courts, sites for "beach volley ball",
 a theater, large rooms for meetings, and living quarters which include saunas, gyms, etc..  Yet, it is only about 15 minutes away from the center of the City (where the Museums, Opera House, etc., are located) and about 25 minutes from Copacabana and Ipanema, which are residential areas with a huge, beautiful beach in front and those breathtakingly lovely mountains in the back.The meetings and reaunions will be conducted in Portuguese, Spanish, English, French and Italian and a combination thereof.(Many Brasilians, Argentinians, Uruguayans and Chileans also speak "portunhol" which is a combination of Spanish and Portuguese very similar to Galician.This is the program:
Day 1. Thursday, June 10, 2004, -Reception, distribution of kits, and assignment of rooms to thos pilgrims that will be staying in the compuond.-Opening of the meeting; introduction of participants and  delegations.-Address by representatives of Camino people from the Xunta de Galicia.-Information about the history and activities of the various Friends of Santiago Associations present (Brasil, Argentina, etc).-General getting-to-know you discussions.-Mass and Pilgrims' blessing.-Dinner-Evening socialization and/or meditation.
Day 2. Friday, June 11, 2004-Early morning activities (sports, swimming, tennis, and so on)-Breakfastm(European style... breads, cheese, coffee and such)-Forum of Camino discussions and recollections-Recreational activities (as chosen by the participants: sports, beach visits, etc.)-Lunch (as in Europe, lunch is the main meal of the day).-More pilgrim discussion and recollections-Pilgrims' Bingo (?)-Show of typical dances and music from Spain-Dinner (buffet style)-Viewing of Camino photographs-Presentation of Camino Arts and Crafts-June night (a traditional Brazilian celebration) party with Brasilian music and food.
Day 3. Saturday, June 12, 2004-Early morning activities (see above)-Breakfast-Ecological hike (up and around a morro)-Return to the compound-Pilgrimage discussions and sharing of experiences, advise, etc.-Recreational activities (as above)-Dinner-Luau  (note: the word for moon in portuguese is "lua" and a Luau is a party under, or by, moonlight
Day 4. Sunday, June 13, 2004.-Early morning recreational activities.-Breakfast-Sport activities/ Camino videos-Closing activities (final pilgrims' discussions, introductions, special awards, distribution of credentials and other documents, exchange of addresses and oseful Camino information, etc.-Group picture-Contraternization "churrasco" (typical Brasilian barbacue)-City Tour. "Rio by Sunset".
All the above are included in the participation fee (250 Reais, -about $90.000), but except for the welcoming "caipirinha", (typical Brasilian cocktail..... delicious!) any alcoholic beverages will have to be paid for separately.
I guess that the above answers most of your questions. If there is anything else that you would like to know, please let me know.Warm regards,Rosina