College Student seeks Camino Mentor

Ed ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET
Wed Feb 25 01:02:07 PST 2004

I would also recommend comfortable boots and socks as being essential.  The
Camino is not a walk in the park (as some people would have you believe) and
I found many times (e.g. O Cebreiro) where I was walking on very rocky
ground.  In these conditions, boots/socks offer great protection against
damage as well as grip underfoot especially on slippery wet rockface.

During May/June 2002, I experienced days of very heavy rain but my
Gortex-lined boots kept my feet well dry.  Those guys in
runners/trainers/sandals really suffered.  Their feet (and socks) got
thoroughly  wet and it was abject misery for some.  Then of course, once
wet, it can take days for the trainers to dry out. Stuffing newspaper into
them overnight just doesn't do the trick, so you end up walking in wet/damp
footwear for days.  No wonder many of these guys got blisters and fungal
diseases.  And even when the rain ceases, I found many places where the
ground had turned into ankle-deep mud.  You know, the thick, heavy,
cling-on type.  Walking in this with boots was hard-going.  Walking in
ankle-deep mud with trainers was abject misery.  No wonder some had to take
the bus over these stages.

So my advice is to take broken-in comfortable waterproof, breathable boots
and proper socks.   By all means, take sandals as well for the evenings or
non-walking days.

In a similar vein, I'd say don't wear cotton jeans (e.g. Levi, Wranglers, or
even Calvin Klein).  Once soaked, these again can take days to dry, nor will
they keep out the wind or keep you warm.

Ed