Walking Maps of the Pyrenees

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Sun Feb 22 13:24:18 PST 2004

There are major problems trying to use the 1:25,000 scale maps. One is
the expense. They are not cheap and it takes quite a few to cover any
of the four major routes. So many maps are needed that weight and space
have to be considered, even though they are just paper. As I remember,
one of the CSJ publications recommends against their use because of
this. The third factor is that each one is good for only one or two
days. You figuratively walk right off the map in that time. The details
are great, but it is a nuisance to need so many. The ideal would be to
have a pocket computer with all the maps stored in it. I would not be
surprised if there is such a thing available, but the cost would be
prohibitive for most pilgrims.

I tried to get information on similar maps for Iberia, but without
success. I believe that they are available, originally prepared for
military use, but I wasn't able to find out how to get them. I also got
the impression that they were even more expensive than the GR series of
France.

regards,

Bob Spenger