[saintjames] Re: Motorized assistance

claudia castellani claudietta67aHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 16:37:09 PST 2004

We modern people don't attach much importance to "unnecessary hardship" in
the Camino (and elsewhere, actually!) and everybody feels free to behave as
he/she prefers. But medieval pilgrims did care a lot, because physical
sufference was considered the best way to imitate Christ's Passion and to
ask for pardon for one's sins. Some of them, for example, also wore
"cilicium" (I don't know the word in English) under their garments.
I am probably an out-of-date person, but I agree with the Medieval mentality
(I didn't wear a "cilicium" though!!).
For the Latins, "otium" was the father of vice, which is more or less the
same concept. And today's first accusation against "the Western world" is
based on the fact that its comfortable and lazy way of living is considered
to have brought to a very deep "moral corruption".
As on the Camino I was looking for my "personal revelation", I felt that
bringing my own backpack was absolutely fundamental, a sort of pre-condition
to receive that revelation.

Claudia