Women on the Camino

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Thu Feb 19 19:45:21 PST 2004

Fellow pilgrims,

I was wondering if anyone on the list serv could help me to answer some
questions....

I have been writing the story of My Camino, living the journey on paper
as though I am there again. Through the process of writing I have come
to the realization that there wasn't anyone I knew, personally or
otherwise, who had walked the Camino. I remember when I was planning my
journey, I considered that there might be very few 'women on the road
since it was winter and also most of the historical information I had
read at the time, referred to the men who walked. Of course in recent
years many women have journeyed and in fact in when I walked in December
2001 the Santiago Archdiocese reported 250 males/64% and 90 females/36%
had completed the Camino that month. More recent reports show the split
is closer to 60% men and 40% women; according to the accounts that
Rosina kindly forwards to the list serv.

So, here are my questions;
Can anyone tell me the history of when women started walking the Camino?
I read somewhere that the women stayed home to care for the family while
the men walked, which makes sense but when did that change and why? Are
there any early recorded stories or known history about women's
journeys, what they wore, why they walked, what happened to them?

I am now wondering, who are the famous women that walked the Camino
besides Shirley MacLaine and our own famous list serve members and
authors?

I appreciate any help or direction that can be provided.

warmest regards,

Sue

Floral Park, Canada
http://www.suekenney.ca