Santiago Pilgrimage

jim allen jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun Feb 15 04:00:46 PST 2004

Hello, Mary;
My daughter, age 35, a friend, age 40, and I, age 68 started in SJPP on Aug
22, 2003.  We had a carefully documented "plan" to use as a flexible guide
which was out of sync on the first day.  We left SJPP at 3:30pm and hiked to
Huntto.  Best decision we made that month.  Yes, the first or second day can
be the hardest but that part was undertaken before blisters, sore knees,
etc, so it may be the better decision.  Please try to concentrate on the
positives and lessen your anxiety.  Whatever happens is now part of the
"plan."  The anxiety is normal.  Remember, millions less prepared have gone
before you.  They made it.  I read about a woman who left her home, age 60,
last year and walked to Santiago without money or any "plan."  She got all
she needed.  You won't sleep on the floor unless you want to.  There are
multiple places to sleep besideds the albergues, refugios.  Lastly, don't
let anything stand in your way of making the Camino.  Four months is plenty
of time to get in shape.
Buen Camino.
Jim Allen, Seminole, Florida
jallen08atampabay.rr.com