Samos

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Wed Feb 11 10:31:12 PST 2004

Richard...yes I stayed at Samos and you are right it was bone chilling cold and damp. To this day when I get cold it triggers a link in my memory back to the night I slept there. There was no hot water and no heat. It was December and it went below zero at night.

I arrived with another pilgrim just before 7PM and we were informed that vespers were at 7. There were 6 or 7 Brothers who participated in the vespers at the chapel in the monestary and only 4 pilgrims. I remember the beautiful paintings on the walls of the dark hallway to the chapel. I believe part of the monestary was built in the 6th century.

Partway through the evening the Swiss pilgrim left. We saw him later that morning sitting near a building meditating. I wondered if it was actually warmer outside.

Thanks for memories.
Sue