Civil and WWarII

Mariusz Wesolowski shamshiraSHAW.CA
Sun Feb 8 10:51:28 PST 2004

Jeffrey,

I agree with your correction regarding the dates of the Republican
government in Spain but not with your interpretation of what I termed
"the anti-Catholic policies" of it. As you may read even in Beevor's book
(which, unfortunately, has a slight pro-Republican bias, just like the
absolute majority of the literature on the subject in English), the said
government did nothing to prevent the burning of churches and the murder of
over 100 priests in 1936 and later; it also banned religious education,
forbade priests and nuns to work as teachers, etc., etc.

I am also quite sure that Spain would be much worse off if it became an
annex to Stalin's gulag empire. In the choice between two evils, Franco was
obviously the lesser one. Too many people, blinded by the "democratic"
cover of Republican Spain and the romantic myth of the International
Brigades, ignore this glaring fact.

Regards,

Mariusz Wesolowski