Civil and WWarII

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Sun Feb 8 03:34:10 PST 2004

I think it would be more truthful to say that the Republican Government
(1931-1939, 1936 was the year of the fascist revolt, NOT the end of the
Republican government) was against the oligarchy that had previously
governed Spain which had been propped up by the Chruch:

"But, when the war started in 1936, the Nationalist generals and their
supporters represented three coherent poles: they were authoritarian, they
upheld the interests of landowner and industrialist and they believed in
centralised government. The Catholic church, the oldest and most powerful
political political force in Spain, was to provide them with a rallying
banner and an emotive ideology to justify the rising" (Antony Beevor, The
Spanish Civil War*).

In fact Franco's isolationist policy (apart from supplying Hitler with coal
and steel that was badly needed to rebuild Spain) cost him dearly after WW2
and it was only when Eisenhower decided he needed a bastion against
communism in the western Med that Franco was allowed in out of the cold.

A very complex subject the Spanish Civil War and a cause of debate to this
day (there were anti-fascist stickers in Puenta la Reina last year and a
photo exhibition of the role during the war of the Guardia Civil in
Palencia). Beevor's book is highly recommended as an unbiased view. Be
prepared to have some firm beliefs shaken as hardly anybody comes out of the
story with any kind of grace - British, Americans, French, Germans, Russians
we ALL let poor old Spain down, only brave Mexico comes out of the sorry
tale with any kind of honour.

Whereas Hitler sold Franco arms and munitions in return for coal and steel
contracts that he'd need for WW2, Henry Ford GAVE him millions of dollars of
aid, the British allowed him free use of radio communications at the
Gibralter base while he plotted to overthrow the (legally elected)
Republican government, France sent back fleeing refugees to the arms of the
waiting fascists or interned them in concentration camps and the Russians
took Spain's gold reserves into "safe keeping" and it was never seen again.

Jeffrey

* The Spanish Civil War, Antony Beevor, Cassell Military Paperbacks, ISBN
0-304-35840-1