[Gocamino] Poem

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 23 14:53:43 PST 2004

Hello you all,
I beg your indulgence in my believing that Christmas is not an unrelated
subject on a Camino list.  After all, St. James the  elder's mother, Salome, was a
sister of  the virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus, so, in my view, there is
definitely a relation.
I'd like to thank Grant for the delightful moving images of the season which
he has posted..... Thanks a lot Grant; they have brought smiles to many of us
since I've forwarded them to anyone I know.
For my part, I'd like to contribute a poem written by Phyllis McGinley
(1905-1978):

                                (New York)    CITY CHRISTMAS

Now is the time when the great urban heart
    More warmly beats, exiling melancholy.
Turkey comes table d'hote or a la carte.
    Our elevator wears a wreath of holly.

Mendicant Santa Claus in flannel robes
    At every corner contradicts his label,
Alms-asking.  We've a tree with colored globes
    In our apartment foyer, on a table.

There is a promise - or a threat - of snow
    Noised by the press. We pull our collars tighter.
And twenty thousand doormen hourly grow
    Politer and politer and politer

                      -----

Rosina
p.s. ( I have three other Christmas-themed poems written by the same poet, on
the same vein.  I can post them, if you wish, or I can send them to you
directly. Let me know.)