[Gocamino] Back home...(sigh!)

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 10:57:48 PST 2004

Hello you all,
Santiago was unbelievably beautiful last week and still very much within the
spirit of the Xacobean Holy Year.
I was joined by a Brazilian friend who came from Rio de Janeiro, and her
first-impression reactions to Santiago were refreshingly enthusiastic.
I think that most widely traveled people would agree that Rio de Janeiro is
the most beautiful city anywhere, since it has that stunning combination of
natural beauty :  :green green mountains to one side and a blue blue ocean on the
other bordered by spectacular beaches. The architecture of the city, wedged
between the mountains and the sea is itself something else to behold.
Brazilians are, quite rightly, super proud of their country, and somewhat feel kind of
sorry for those of us who were denied the fortune to be born there.  Of all
the cities of huge Brazil (if we do not include  Alaska Brazil is larger than
the continental USA) the most celebrated is Rio de Janeiro; in fact, Brazilians
from everywhere refer to Rio as the "postcard city". and to Cariocas (those
born and living in Rio) as too intoxicated by their city to notice any other
place.  Yet, my Carioca friend walked around Santiago with starry, unbelieving
eyes, and she told me as she left that she had never been in a more beautifully
touching place.  At one point she stopped taking pictures because, she told
me, there can be no way of conveying the glorious beauty of Santiago other than
being  there in person.
I guess that those of us who have been there fully understand what she meant.
As an attorney herself, she was tearfully grateful to know that there are
still some places in this world spotlessly clean and totally crime-free.
I had thought that speaking Portuguese she would be able to communicate fully
with the Gallego-speaking  Santiagoans (Gallego is very similar to what the
Brazilians call "portunhol", a combination of Portuguese and Spanish), alas! I
was mistaken and, once again, I spent a heck of a lot of time translating...
which I really do not like doing.  Oh well..... nothing is perfect.
-As of this week there are a few bartenders in Santiago, including the owner
of the "As Artes" hotel where we stayed, who now know the true technique of
preparing a "Caipirinha",  that sugar-cane rum with fresh-quartered and mashed
lime  and sugar which is Brazil's national (delicious) drink....so my friend
left a small cultural contribution behind.-.
I've lots of news... lots of pictures.... lots of new camino CDs... a couple
of new CDroms, and a copy of the movie "Camino de Santiago" , which has an
international cast of actors and actresses and runs for four hours or more. . The
movie is on PAL DVDs which do not play in the USA system.  Fortunately, here
in New York City we have so very many people who come from European and near
Asian countries  and who get PAL DvDs from their countries , that it is
possible to purchase a machine that plays such Pal DvDs on a regular TV, rather than
on a multipurpose one.
I have gotten such machine and can't wait to start watching all the DVDs  I
brought,  particularly those dealing with the Camino and the 15-hour European
production of Quo Vadis with Klaus Maria Brandauer.
I will start posting items that maybe of interest to you all in my next
message, and I think I will start with the Galician Pilgrim poem that is shown on
painted tiles before  the entrance of the Pilgrims Office at the top of the
stairway. Afterwards I will try to post the most interesting and unusual Camino
things by following the "Dictionary of fascinating Camino and Santiago facts."

Let me close by citing, in full,  the acknowledgment and reference to us that
appears on page 47 of the October, 2004, edition of the "Compostela" which is
the (glossy) magazine of the Universal Archicofradia of the Apostle Santiago:

" N.B.  Desde la Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino queremos dejar constancia de
nuestro profundo y mas sincero agradecimiento a la asociacion  "American
Friends on the Camino" (sic) , que con su contribucion economica  han hecho
poisible que la mejora en el sistema informatico de la Oficina se llevase a cabo en
un ano tan significativo como este Ano Santo Compostelano 2004. Gracias por
vuestra inestimable colaboracion."

Big hug to you all,

Rosina