Nov/Dec trek

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Mon Aug 9 16:38:48 PDT 2004

Carolyn,

I walked alone in November/December 2001 and had a fabulous experience.
The weather ranged from 20 cms of snow, hail, rain, wind, fog, to sunny
and 14 degrees celcius. The evenings were cold, reaching below zero most

nights. The heat in the refugios was turned off by 10pm. Found many
refugios open even during the winter. You can check at the bars to find
out if a refugio is open or some of the refugios offer a list to the
pilgrims identifying which hostels are open. I slept two of the 29
nights, alone.

I loved walking at this time of year since the path wasn't crowded.
Often I walked alone in the darkness of the early morning under the
stars but if you want  company, it's always there. You are never alone
on the Camino.

Take gloves and a hat. Fleece was most comfortable in the cold. Be
prepared for rain. I wore high cut leather hiking boots with sock liners

and hiking socks. Vaseline on my feet at least twice a day prevented
blisters.

If you have any specific questions or want to email me off line, please
feel free to do so.

warmest regards,

Sue

http://www.suekenney.ca