The most beautiful book on the Camino, ever

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Aug 9 06:56:41 PDT 2004

Hola,
A Spanish painter, Ruiz alarner, walked the Camino over the past few years and instead of taking photographs he illustrated the Camino with watercolors.  A very successful exhibition of the watercolors was held in various cities in Spain  and when it was announced that a book would be issued with the watercolors I wrote and wrote seeking to get it but did not succeed.  Happily, it is on sale here in Spain and it is absolutely gorgeous.  The name of the book is "La Flecha y la Vieyra"  (the arrow and the shell), and the ISBN is 84-95537-76-1.  The book is fairly large and it costs 36 Euros (about 45 Dlls.)  I would imagine that sending it to the USA, by boat, would cost about 15 to 20 Euros.  At whatever cost, it is absolutely priceless. (It is true that age makes people mellow; when I was a young woman I used to think that watercolors were for sissies; now I cannot put the book down!)
Other new books of interest:
1. Diccionario Curioso e ilustrado de Santiago de Compostela.  ISBN 84-95906-68-6, by Vaquero & Kirschner.  This book presents, in dictionary form, explanations of things-Camino, letter by letter.  It is fanciful and informative, and when I return I may post part of it.
2. El misterio del Apostol Santiago. ISBN 84-01-37883-4.  This book attempts to fill in details of the life of Saint James based on both biblical and historical sources and lore handed down.  It is fascinating.
3. El Camino de Santiago andado de un peregrino del Siglo XII. ISBN 84-95440-65-2. By Ines Ruiz Montejo. This book follows the narrative, in modern language, of the route taken by the writer of the Codex Calistino and corelates it to modern sites and conditions.  It is absorbing.

Cohelo´s book on the Camino has been reprinted on a large, art-book, form with photographs that he has taken of the Camino and it is accompanied by a DVD in which Coelho speaks about his book, his Camino, those days, etc.  For what I saw at the bookstores the publication is running off the shelves.  In the DVD Coelho minimizes the significance of alchemy in his book and reiterates that he has returned to the comforting fold of the Catholic church.
....When and if I find other publications worh of mention, I will report on them.  Until then, I just cannot recommend the watercolors book enthusiastically enough.
Big hug!
Rosina
Rosina