Two weeks from Leon

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Sun Apr 25 10:47:24 PDT 2004

I walked for 15 days, plus one non-walking day, from Leon to Santiago, 300 km or 200 miles.  I was 50 years old when I did it.  I suggest that two weeks from Leon is not enough time, especially when you factor in transit time, time in Santiago, etc.  The only exception would be if you have extensive experience with long distance walking and know for a fact that you can walk that many miles/kilometers per day.  I know that some people can in fact walk that far per day, but I think that 20km per day is more realistic for most people, especially those who are no longer young.  I suggest that you start in Astorga, a very nice town.   I walked for 12 days from Astorga to Santiago, it would have been 11 days except for a detour to Samos.  But again you need to figure out how many days you need on each end.  I always figure to need a rest day after I fly from the USA to Europe, for example.  For some reason on my pilgrimage my sleep schedule did not get aligned to Europe time for s!
 everal days, again arguing for more time and fewer kilometers.  If you plan a tight schedule then any problem creates a crisis.  If you plan a schedule with some slack, you don't need to worry if a problem or setback or opportunity that causes you to lose a day, or if your body does not want to walk as many km per day as you expected.  I remember hitting the wall when I walked two days over 25km back to back, I was so beat that I was concerned about myself, even though I was in a hotel with a restaurant.  In other words, I found my physical limit, and it was not fun.

Richard

Date:    Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:27:47 -0400
From:    Alberto De Leon <mexmanaCOMCAST.NET>
Subject: intro of new member

Hi everybody!
My name is Alberto De Leon.  I am from Grand Prairie, TX.  I will be 49
when I do my walk.  The walk will start about the 9th of August.  I will
have two weeks to do the walk and will start in Leon.  I cannot wait to
start.  I have enjoyed reading the letters here.  I have found good
information that will help during my walk.  Talk to you later.  Alberto