plgm statue in Tortosa, Spain

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Sat Apr 24 14:58:43 PDT 2004

Hello to all. I´m briefly on line at a cybernet cafe on the east coast of
Spain. I see that ¨gocamino¨ is progressing well, and I again thank all who
are helping with the details of how to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.

On my travels I visited Tortosa near the Spanish mid-east coast. It´s famous
in medieval history because it is where Pope Pedro de Luna ordered a series of
disputations, christian theologians to-with Jewish inhabitants of the area....
(that´s another story).

Well, on the way to the Cathedral we passed through a medieval town wall door,
called the  "Pilgrims´ Door". On one side was the typical Santiago peregrino.
On the other side of the door was a statue of St. Christopher with the child
Jesus on his shoulder. St. Christopher, hmm, was dressed as a Santiago
pilgrim, complete with at least 2 scallop shells. I ´could not find out the
date of the 2 sculptures, but i´m sure this is the first time i´ve seen
Christopher decked out as a pilgrim.  Anybody else know of any examples ?

Linda Davidson