intro of new member (14 days to spend wisely)

Jim Greer jgreeraMIDSOUTH.RR.COM
Tue Apr 20 06:19:47 PDT 2004

* Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty (redtailaTELUS.NET) [040419 20:50]:
> I agree with Rosina that starting from Leon with two weeks for the
> pilgrimage might be pushing it a bit. It depends on your experience,
> conditioning, and pack weight. For a comparative example, we walked that
> part comfortably in in 11 days, but had been under way before Leon for18
> days, with lots of prior training and 12-15 lb packs. That's very different
> from starting out cold.

[ Just to jump in... ]
That's very good to hear, Frank.  My wife and I are leaving for Leon in
about 3 weeks.  We've planned to be on the road somewhere between 13 and
16 days.  Your 17+ mile a day jaunt makes our pace seem downright
leisurely.  I'm hoping our seven months of walking has 'conditioned' us
and that our efforts to carry only what we need will help us stay light.

> However, O Cebreiro might be a little too close, given your timetable. We
> arrived in Santiago (via Samos) only 6 days after leaving Ruitelan, which
> is about where the climb up to O Cebreiro begins. The climb up isn't nearly
> as daunting as it's cracked up to be, just a bracing hike in the hills (in
> quite a storm for us) yet a memorable camino experience.

I'm clipping out your description of the O Cebreiro climb and mailing it
to my missus.  Just the sort of thing she needs to hear.

Thanks,
Jim G

--
You are capable of planning your future.
James B. Greer <jgreeramidsouth.rr.com> [expires: 2004-12-27]