(no subject)

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sun Apr 18 08:27:01 PDT 2004

Hi Alberto, and welcome,
If I were you, on my first Camino pilgrimage, and had only two weeks at my
disposal I would not start from Leon.  Even although that city is only 300
kilometers away from Santiago (app. 200 miles), the route is up and down and up and
down and it faces the daunting ascent to O Cebreiro.  You may find yourself
racing the calendar and missing most of what the Camino holds.
Why not start from O Cebreiro?  You can walk down from there and have enough
time to savor all the aspects of the pilgrimage:. your fellow pilgrims,  the
spellbinding nearby monuments, monasteries and churches, (in the tiny town of
Furelos and its little church you are likely to want to linger for hours before
its mind-awing Crucifix) , and your own sitting-on-the-side-of-the-road
solitude with its wealth of unique insights.
You can visit Leon and its fabulous Cathedral and museum (don't miss it!), go
to Ponferrada by bus, visit the Templars' castle, then take a bus to
Villafranca on your way to O Cebreiro, and then walk to Santiago.
Surely, like most of us, you will be going back, again and again, and somehow
someday you will find the time to make a longer pilgrimage.
Warm regards,
Rosina