The 60+ Club

john rogers j_rogersaSYMPATICO.CA
Wed Apr 14 13:36:28 PDT 2004

There will be many opinions as to what is best. I can say that my wife and I walked last April to end of May and both had Gor-tex jackets and were happy with them. If it was not raining, I seldom had mine on and my wife, only in the early hours of the morning. We did not wear / carry gloves and did not miss them. The weather, if like last year, will be splendid that time of year with the flowers blooming etc. Up in the hills around Roncesvalles and San Juan de Ortega etc it was raining and cold at night. The rest of the time shirt sleeves were in order.
We wore ankle height boots with a firm sole but recognize via this website that others opt for sandals, runners etc. We were happy with our choice and suffered little foot problems. My wife, who tends to feel the cold more than I, had a pair of Gor-tex rain pants and swore by them. She is taking them again this fall. I carried a pair but never needed them as I wore pants with removable leggings and simply wore shorts in the rain. I am pushing 60 and find that the exertion of hiking with a pack keeps me splendidly warm.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we.
Buen Camino
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Liz Allen
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 11:47 AM
  Subject: Re: The 60+ Club

  Hi Alan:
  Ray and I will be leaving SJPP on May 1, so maybe we will catch up with you at some point.
  Can anyone tell me about rain gear that works on the Camino - we have Gortex jackets with hoods - what kind of gloves, also need info on best shoes for the rain - which I hear there is much of in Galicia. Do the rainpants need to be Gortex, or will synthetic work as well - my backpack has its own rain cover. ANy tips appreciated -
  See you on the Way!
  Ray and Liz

  amiller24 <amiller24aSNET.NET> wrote:
    Also 60+.  Leaving SJPP on May 25th doing the French Road for the first time.  Excited, but hopeful that all the body parts will hold together!

    Alan from Connecticut