Help need and appreciated!

Frank Harrison harrisonaUGA.EDU
Wed Apr 14 11:44:05 PDT 2004

Here is another voice for the 60+ “Club.”  Indeed, I am almost ready for
the 70 Club.

I am Frank Harrison, a professor of Philosophy at the University of
Georgia in Athens, Georgia. This summer I would like, and plan, to walk
part of the Camino de Santiago. This is, for me, a religious venture.
And, so, I go as a pilgrim. Even so, due to aches and pains of
”maturation” I am planning “to do” at first only the required 100km.  If
all goes well, and I find more courage, I shall perhaps do more.

To prepare I have read a great deal.  Indeed, I am all but overwhelmed
with information, but still in need of useful facts given my situation.
  So, here are some specific questions I have.  I should VERY MUCH
appreciate any help you out there might share with me.

        1) Since I am going to walk only 100+ km where is the best place to
begin?  Sarria? Or some other location?

        2) How is the best way to get to my starting point to begin the walk to
Compostela?  I plan to fly into Madrid and then I can take a plane to
wherever I need to go.  After that, what? That is, how would I get to
Sarria?

        3) I am going to be in Galicia, and other parts of Spain, longer than I
am going to be walking.  Thus, I need to take some luggage with me – at
least one carry on and one briefcase.  Where might  I store these before
I begin my pilgrimage so that I can pick it all up afterwards?  I
certainly am not going to take all of this on my back.  Would it be
best, for example, to go directly to Compostela, store my luggage
somewhere, and then travel to Sarria to begin my walk?

        4) While I tell myself, since I am now “in training,” that I am going
to be able to walk some 10-15 miles per day, in all reality it will
probably be more likely 8-10 (and then with the help of Advil and St.
James).  If this is the case and I do begin at Sarria, will there be
places I can reach along the way to sleep and eat?

        5) If anyone has any other insights which might be helpful for walking
from, say, Sarria to Compostela, please let me hear from you as well.

        Oh yes, I am now listed to teach a short summer course at the
University of Georgia.  So, I shall do that and then be off to Spain in
mid June.

        Thank you for any and all help!  I sure need it!

                                — most cordially –

                                    Frank Harrison

Frank R. Harrison, III
Josiah Meigs Professor