Music for the Camino

claudia castellani claudietta67aHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 3 02:38:55 PST 2004

If I had to choose a kind of music for the Camino, I would think of Celtic
music in general (whatever one likes best) and Medieval "cantate", such as
Enya, the Clannad (there were places on the Camino where I wished I had
brought Clannad music with me) and The John Reinbourn Group.
Apart from that, there are some Spanish songs of the University "Tuna"
tradition which are great.
There is one in particular, "La tuna compostelana", which says: "...Y allà
en el templo del Apostol Santo una nina llora ante su Patròn porque la capa
del tuno que adora no lleva la cinta que ella le bordò" (And there in the
church of the Holy Apostle a girl weeps before her Patron because the ribbon
she embroidered for the "tuno" she loves is not hanging on his cloak). The
"Holy Patron" Santiago is so important for Spanish people that even a couple
of friends of mine, not religious, decided to walk the Camino, and when I
had a problem they told me "No te preocupes, el Santo te lo va a arreglar"
(Don't worry, the Saint is going to solve the problem), which astonished me.
The same thing happens in Italy with Padre Pio: very often even
"unsuspected" non religious people have a small image of Padre Pio in their
pocket.

Claudia