Women on the Camino and the Portugese Way

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Thu Apr 1 02:46:34 PST 2004

> I was stumbling about after information on John of Gaunt' visit to
Santiago
> in 1386 when he laid claim to the Spanish throne through his Castillian
> wife and accepted the town surreder. A claim that he gave up by marrying
> his daughter Phillipa to the spanish kings son later John 1.

I think you meant to say the Portuguese King's son. It was he - John of
Avis, Pedro I of Portugal's bastard son and Master of the Order of Avis -
who married Phillipa, the daughter of that other John (of Gaunt) and thereby
established the second Portuguese dynasty. To confuse things even more, the
King of Castile at this time also was "John" (Juan de Trastamaras) and it
was his forces that were defeated at the battlee of Aljubarrota in 1385.
Phillipa and John I are entombed at Batalha along with their son, Prince
Henry the Navigator.